December 1, 2007

Featured Seller: Madelaine

Madelaine is a brilliant, sixteen-year-old photographer. We interviewed her recently about her life, her work, and lots of other good stuff:

Tell us a little about yourself.
My name is Madelaine. I'm a sixteen-year-old photographer and digital artist living in Thomas, West Virginia. I collect matchbooks and matchboxes. And I occasionally wear fake mustaches.

Your photography is so beautiful. How did you get interested in photography?
Thank you. I remember showing an interest in photography in 2004, that Christmas, my step-dad bought me a little point-and-shoot to use. I joined deviantART and started uploading there. My photography, through many comments and feedback, evolved from bad snapshots to real art, with one camera upgrade in between (Canon 350d).

My brother is a web designer which led to interest in and access to photoshop. That started the chain reaction the led to my digital art.

What's a typical day like for you?
Waking up around 11, checking etsy, addressing envelopes, writing thank-you notes and packing prints. Just about everyday I visit the post office to check my mail or send out some prints, or both. After the post office, I usually stop in for tea at a local café. I have school on Tuesdays and Thurdays, so those days are usually spent taking notes.

What's your workspace like?
Well, when it comes to the subjects and location of my photography, almost all of it is within walking distance of my house. For editing and digital art, I have my computer on a very crowded desk. It's crowded because I write things a lot on scraps of paper, and it just adds up. Plus, I'm lucky enough to own a 12x18" Wacom Intous tablet, but it takes up a lot of space.

What did you have for breakfast?
Nothing. I have very strange eating habits, which means I eat when I'm hungry and don't when I'm not. It works for me, I guess.

What music are you listening to right now?
Raphaël by Carla Bruni. She has a stunning voice. I love her music.

Best advice you ever got?
Never ever give up.

4 comments:

Chris Stone said...

She does have beautiful work!

yellowfish said...

I've seen her work on etsy, and its beautiful! its great to hear more about her!

Willow's World & Willow's Wool said...

great interview, i have one of her prints....shes really talented

Anonymous said...

great work...she is really very talented.